Valentine's Day

Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009
It's Valentine's Day. At least it fell on the weekend this year. I know it's a manufactured holiday whose only purpose is to sell cards and candy, but it's still kind of fun and kitschy. It's fun and interesting to stand in line with all the other dudes who are buying flowers. You can wonder about where they are going with said flowers and what their ladies are going to think of them. You can take pride in doing something a little extra special for your loved one, too.

The only real complaint that I have about this day is that it's too damn cold. When Hallmark had this holiday on the drawing board, why did they choose February? I know people's spirits are supposed to be low in the waning months of winter, but Valentine's Day does nothing to brighten the spirits of those who are already down. It does exactly the opposite. It just sucks them farther down when they are reminded that not only is it cold, miserable, dry and crackly outside, they don't have anybody to spoon with, either. This is not a service that anyone needs.

Why not move it up a little... say sometime in April. That way, I could hide flowers outside in a garage or shed or car. The options would be vastly increased if I didn't have to worry about frozen flowers overnight. Also, it would be more condusive towards romantic outdoor walks. I can deal with the cold weather, and I don't even mind walking in it, but nobody feels sexy when they're walking around with four layers of clothing on. And, when I want to cook my lady dinner on this most special day, I could do it properly outside on the grill without numbness of the extremities.

Please consider it, oh great greeting card companies.


In other news, life has been pretty good lately. I have a little extra scratch in my pockets if I want to go to lunch or buy something. This makes a huge difference in my quality of life. I heard a report on the radio yesterday debating whether or not money actually can buy happiness. In a way, it surely can. Until a month or so ago, I was so broke that I could barely keep my cell phone turned on, and I couldn't afford to change the oil in my car even though the light was on. These are not luxuries or niceties. These are basic things that I no longer have to stop and think about before taking care of them. In that respect, I have much less anxiety in my life. If I have less anxiety and worry, I am clearly happier. Isn't that a textbook definition of happiness?

Actually, the textbook definition of happiness is a: a state of well-being and contentment : joy b: a pleasurable or satisfying experience. I would say that the loss of worry is a direct cause of a state of well-being. Correlation and causation.

Money really can buy happiness, and even fake holidays matter. Keep buying that happy up and go give somebody a kiss. It's Valentine's Day.


Paco

0 comments:

Post a Comment